History of the Institution
The Statute of Autonomy of the Autonomous City of Ceuta www.ceuta.es/BOCCE joins, under a same institution the local and autonomous duties. That is why, when referring to its origins, we do not go back to the enactment of the Statute of Autonomy in 1995, but to the previous local path.
Therefore, we must begin with the constitution of the Portuguese Chamber, born as a small advisory senate of the Governor, in this case Pedro de Meneses, who was Governor between 1415 and 1437. Later, this local chamber was made equal to the other chambers in Portugal.
In the 18th century, with the Bourbon administrative changes, the chamber becomes City Assembly. Nevertheless, protected by the privileges granted by the Crown, the new governors maintained their jobs and organization, always presided by a Military Governor.
In 1812, as a consequence of the enactment of the Constitution of Cadiz, a Constitutional City Council is established. This council had its powers reduced only during the absolutist periods of the reigns of Fernando VII and with its change into City Assembly during the dictatorship of Primo de Rivera.
In 1995, with the Statute of Autonomy a new institution is created, being its main representative the Assembly of the Autonomous City of Ceuta, which has the duties of both the former City Council and the competences delegated by the State.